PakistanDatabase.com

Attacking contactless cards [Part 4]

Helski

Hellcoins
♆21
Contactless bank cards are very convenient: I put the card to the terminal, and after a couple of seconds the phone rang in my pocket - the purchase was paid. But this convenience has a downside: attackers can steal money from the holders of such “plastic”. Let's talk about ways to hack bank cards using NFC technology.

Technologically, NFC payments are a continuation of the EMV standard, so all the attacks that took place “in the wild” were already known to researchers. When I got into the topic of contactless payments, I still managed to find some new interesting cases, but such attacks still focus on backward compatibility and other shortcomings of the main EMV mechanisms - authorization, authentication, verification.

After running tests with dozens of cards, I was amazed at the scale of the problems in the banks. Since the early 2000s, they have not gone away, and with the advent of contactless payments, such problems simply became more. One of the characteristics of contactless card scams is that they are difficult to confirm because there is no need for an attacker to gain physical access to your cards. Therefore, banks often protest such customer complaints.

LEGACY​

You must reply before you can see the hidden data contained here.

CLONING CARDS AND TRANSACTIONS​

PAYER VERIFICATION BYPASS​

Substitution between the terminal and the acquiring bank​

Change between phone and terminal​

Signature change​

Change to a mobile wallet, or NoCVM​

PSD2 AND CARD FRAUD IN EUROPE​

CONCLUSION​

For three years of close work with card transactions, I learned a lot. The risk-based approach in the payments industry forces banks and other market players to support legacy forms of payments simply “because it is necessary”. That is why in recent years I have been able to make an exciting journey into the wilds of card fraud, find dozens of vulnerabilities in various banks and payment systems, learn how to understand ISO-8583, emulate examples of transactional fraud and master other interesting and unusual attack methods.

All Parts:

Johnjohn

Hellcoins
♆9
Contactless bank cards are very convenient: I put the card to the terminal, and after a couple of seconds the phone rang in my pocket - the purchase was paid. But this convenience has a downside: attackers can steal money from the holders of such “plastic”. Let's talk about ways to hack bank cards using NFC technology.

Technologically, NFC payments are a continuation of the EMV standard, so all the attacks that took place “in the wild” were already known to researchers. When I got into the topic of contactless payments, I still managed to find some new interesting cases, but such attacks still focus on backward compatibility and other shortcomings of the main EMV mechanisms - authorization, authentication, verification.

After running tests with dozens of cards, I was amazed at the scale of the problems in the banks. Since the early 2000s, they have not gone away, and with the advent of contactless payments, such problems simply became more. One of the characteristics of contactless card scams is that they are difficult to confirm because there is no need for an attacker to gain physical access to your cards. Therefore, banks often protest such customer complaints.

LEGACY​

[Hidden content]

CLONING CARDS AND TRANSACTIONS​

[Hidden content]

PAYER VERIFICATION BYPASS​

[Hidden content]

Substitution between the terminal and the acquiring bank​

[Hidden content]

Change between phone and terminal​

Signature change​

[Hidden content]

Change to a mobile wallet, or NoCVM​

[Hidden content]

PSD2 AND CARD FRAUD IN EUROPE​

[Hidden content]

CONCLUSION​

For three years of close work with card transactions, I learned a lot. The risk-based approach in the payments industry forces banks and other market players to support legacy forms of payments simply “because it is necessary”. That is why in recent years I have been able to make an exciting journey into the wilds of card fraud, find dozens of vulnerabilities in various banks and payment systems, learn how to understand ISO-8583, emulate examples of transactional fraud and master other interesting and unusual attack methods.

All Parts:

Bb